16.8.11

if there's a past, there must be a future

Last night I missed seeing Dance by Lucinda Childs. I had a ticket specially arranged for me because it was sold out, and I was excited about seeing it, having seen a video of the original at the Whitney in New York,   and this, and Sol Le Witt's design drawings, being the inspiration for the walk on floor pattern/back drop for Folk Dancing! that the wonderful Agatha Gothe Snape made with me. A truly great thing if I do say so myself. But alas, I misread the show time and left it too late and missed out.

Then this morning as I made the coffee and complicatedly conveyed it from the stove, a wasp stung me. I began to think things weren't going my way and perhaps the trip was botched from the beginning. (And googling 'wasp sting berlin' didn't help when the first article that came up was about the increase of wasp sting deaths.)

So convinced that I would probably die and with ice strapped to my hand, I struggled out to Tanz Fabrik to begin the first day of the first project of this big undertaking. And what a good day it turned out to be. First of all was the minor joy of enacting a scene from my year 8 german textbook: A visit to the Apotheke.  Second of all was remembering all over again why it was I wanted to work with Wendy Houstoun. She is so full of ideas, full of conversation and is so very funny. It is such a privilege to have this time with her, and in such an open ended way. Third of all was coming home to find Toby had bought Ada the most excellent second hand wooden trike we had seen in a shop on the weekend. And finally of all was Toby getting me a scoop of rhubarb ice cream from Fraulein Frost for dessert. Rhubarb icecream!
(The wasp sting still hurts though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment